As you know that the radio wave can be classified by frequency and wavelength. When frequency is higher than 3 GHz, then it is named microwave. Satellite communication is a special case of microwave relay system.
Satellite communication use the synchronous satellite to relay the radio signal transmitted from the ground station.
Now-a-day, the use of wireless communication has gained more popularity.
Satellite and microwave communications network features the time saving, fast-implementation and broad coverage characteristics, in comparison to the traditional fixed wire terrestrial networks.
In case, when the fixed wire terrestrial communication networks are crushed by a disaster, then the satellite and microwave system as a emergency backup facility will be stressed.
In case of satellite communication, the earth station consists of a satellite dish that works as an antenna and communication equipment to transmit and receive the data from satellites passes overhead.
Note - There are a number of communication satellites that are owned by both, governments and private organizations, have been placed in stationary orbits that is about 22300 miles above the surface of the earth.
How Satellite Works ?
The satellites accept the data or signals that are transmitted from the earth station, and amplify them, and then retransmit them to another earth station.
Advantages of Satellite Communication
Here are the list of some main advantages of satellite communication:
- The area coverage through the satellite transmission is large
- The heavy usage of intercontinental traffic makes the satellite commercial attractive
- Satellites can cover large areas of the Earth. This is particularly useful for sparsely populated areas
Disadvantages of Satellite Communication
Here are the list of some main disadvantages of satellite communication:
- Technological limitations preventing the deployment of large, high gain antennas on the satellite platform
- Over-crowding of available bandwidths due to low antenna gains
- The high investment cost of insurance cost associated with significant probability of failure
- High atmospheric losses above 30 GHz limit carrier frequencies
« Previous Tutorial Next Tutorial »